Sunday, December 27, 2009

Grad School Blues

I've got one month til the majority of my grad school applications are due. I am frustrated. Surely, my chronic procrastination hasn't helped things but, shoot ... everyone I know with an interest in academia is an admitted procrastinator. Some of us are nerds with low-esteem, some of us just fear rejection so we put things off. Some of us creative types can't be contained by time constraints.

I have yet to finish my personal essay(s), which I think will somewhat dictate my recs. Speaking of recommendations, that whole process is screwed up. Unless you apply to graduate school while still in undergrad, I feel like getting a professor on board to recommend you will just amount to an uphill battle. People tell you all the time that you're supposed to participate in class, go to office hours, make sure you have a relationship with your professors. I think I did reasonable of job of setting this up WHILE I was in college. I suck at maintaining relations with my close friends when I'm not around them constantly so, of course, I have not maintained relations with my professors. I wish that I had decided to attend grad school two years ago so, I wouldn't received e-mail replies along the lines of: I knew that you were a good student in my class two/three years ago but, I haven't got a close relationship with you now. Bah.

Advice???????????????????

No comments: