
Listen up, sassy undergraduate with flashy fashion sense, you are not Lady Gaga. Nor are you Beyonce. You might have runway dreams, but for now, you are living a dorm-room-mirror lifestyle. My time in Boston has been short – one month to be exact – but in that period, I’ve observed many a wardrobe malfunction.
Why, just the other day, a girl sauntered past me without any bottoms on. That’s right, no real article of clothing from her midsection on down. Her ensemble was as follows: a shirt that hit her at the waist and a pair of opaque tights.
It must have been embarrassing when she discovered she had forgotten to grab a skirt out of the closet when she got dressed in the dark. Or perhaps she was so proud of the underwear she had purchased that weekend, she just had to show her professor and classmates. Either way, the tights-as-pants look was beyond inappropriate for school. And confusing. Pants are not frivolous.
On another occasion, I witnessed a student hurrying to get to class. The girl was not wearing a shirt. Well, I take that back. Technically, her blouse could be categorized as a top. But since it was completely sheer and I could make out every detail of her bra, I don’t think it counts. A see-through top with just a bra underneath is just a tad bit overexposed for your 9 a.m. lecture. Just because Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City attempted the look doesn’t mean you should too. Remember that bird hat from the SATC movie? Exactly.
After 8 seasons of Project Runway, I understand that fashion is about taking risks and making a statement. Just make sure your statement is appropriate for your setting. When in doubt, consider this: What would Michael Kors say?
I’m not advocating collars that are buttoned up to the chin or floor-length skirts. I just want to let you know, what you wear reflects on you. Think about the message you are broadcasting to the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment