Friday, August 26, 2011

Summer Bummin



With about a week left of my last summer vacation ever, I've returned to evaluate my summer goals. Just last night, I was feeling down because in many ways, this summer has one of the biggest busts of my life (discounting the summer of '08, which was one massive post-grad rejection letter).

While I spent a lot of time bored/isolated, I'm pleased to report I actually accomplished a few things too.

For starters, I did land an internship. One that, while I wasn't completely satisfied with it, may lead to a future job. I met some cool people, both fellow interns and networking prospects, and I got work experience in a new field out of it.

Second, I got in shape! I can actually make out a waist line. For the first time in four years, clothes aren't fitting because they are too loose. This means my weekly workout regiment (2-3 days of 1 hr+ workouts at Fitrec)and healthier eating plan (more fish, more fruits, more vegetables and rarely eating out) have paid off! Now, to maintain this lifestyle after school starts. That will be the real challenge.

I got out of town. Just a little bit. I did go home (twice, briefly). And I got my first taste of Brooklyn hipsters visiting my friend Jin. AND I'm going to DC for the fist time since I was an infant next weekend. Yay, friends! Yay, trips! Best of all, even when I was stuck in town and it felt like a million degrees, I forced myself out to visit museums and other cool (AC and otherwise) places.

Where I failed, however:

No boys. No dates. Not at all. Sighhh, Boston, where them decent guys at??? I attempted to join a dating site, but the whole thing creeped me out so much I just ditched it.

I wrote a little bit. Two extra scenes for my novel. A few posts here and there. Nothing to be proud of because I was supposed to write every day. Everyone knows real writers are supposed to write everyday. I must not be a real writer. Fudge.

Same with reading. I read some novels to be proud of. But reading, say 5 novels over the summer is no great accomplishment. There was a time I would have read 20. How will I ever get to the point of writing everyday if I don't read everyday?! Bah.

It wasn't the best of times or the worst of times. There were some epic moments. I got closer to some people and let others drift away. I guess this is what it means to grow up.

No comments: