
Upon reviewing my blog, I've come to realize I haven't updated this thing in months. There have been a couple of reasons for my self-imposed hiatus, most of which, I will admit, are rather self-indulgent.
Issue No. 1 has to do with my job at the bank. I was bored, and I needed a way out. I was having issues with authority. My coworkers and I attempted to launch a workers' revolution but, in many ways, we failed because, well, the little man usually doesn't win in corporate situations.
This may sound dramatic but, I felt myself getting dumber. This was not where I had imagined my life going when I was in my apartment dreaming about the future a little more than a year ago. From the Tribune to customer service representative.
It was getting me down to the point where instead of being proactive and productive, I retreated into my headspace and stayed there for a while, feeling sorry for myself.
This, my friends, is a terribly dangerous road to go down. I'm more annoyed than I can express that I allowed myself to dumb down instead of working on the one thing I have always been good at: writing.
Well, this work funk has been lifted. I found a new job!!!! Saturday is my last day at the bank and as much as I will miss my work buddies, I am more than ready to move on. To move out of the trailer neighborhood. To do something that allows me to actually write, even if it's not the kind of writing I planned to do. Because I've been a terrible friend of late, you are probably wondering, what the hell are you going to be doing Divya? Thanks for letting me know! I do apologize.
So here's what I'm going to be doing. I'm going to be a resource developer for Youthbuild, which operates under the umbrella non-profit Comprehensive Community Solutions here in Rockford. What I'm going to be doing there is procuring funds. Writing grants, networking, generally scrounging up money. And also writing marketing materials. I'm excited. Youthbuild is a pretty cool national program that takes kids who didn't graduate from high school and teaches them a vocational skill (in this case, construction - they build houses) and prepares them to earn their GED. I will be paid through an AmeriCorps stipend. So I guess I have come full circle in terms of my idealism. Though it wasn't my intention, I responded to the call to service. My former boss said (and this is jokingly, he is a Republican but, good-natured) that AmeriCorps is like Obama's version of Hitler's Youth. I guess you could say though one is for good and one was for evil, they were both organizations motivated by young people who felt empowered by a public official. On top of the pay, I will receive a grant which will either pay back much of my student loans or will go toward grad school.
Grad school. There, I said it. I miss school. I wanna go back. I don't care what I study. OK, I do. I don't want to journ again because I already had exceptional teachers and the best education I could have asked for with that. I'm thinking there are some awesome media programs in NYC I'd like to explore. There are in truth so many things I'd like to do, I would love to study cinema, or various topics in sociology/anthropology such as sex and gender in Indian culture, and fashion, and second generation patterns, and minority consumption of media. But I don't have the patience to teach people so, I will just get a Master's and hopefully score a writing gig that will one day get me to my goal of writer/blogger/columnist/media commentator/world dominator. :)
So that's the other thing that's taken up my time. Studying for the GRE, which I will be attempting in September. Wish me luck!
Now that I'm back on here, I'm here to stay. I've got a lot of stuff to say and I hope you want to here it. Life updates, crazy liberal rants, media analysis, you can find it all here. And also, I will do my best to keep bitch, please fresh. I really want to see that site grow and I think you will enjoy reading it. My place in life is as a writer, so from now one I am just going to own up to it and write as much as I possibly can.
Issue No. 1 has to do with my job at the bank. I was bored, and I needed a way out. I was having issues with authority. My coworkers and I attempted to launch a workers' revolution but, in many ways, we failed because, well, the little man usually doesn't win in corporate situations.
This may sound dramatic but, I felt myself getting dumber. This was not where I had imagined my life going when I was in my apartment dreaming about the future a little more than a year ago. From the Tribune to customer service representative.
It was getting me down to the point where instead of being proactive and productive, I retreated into my headspace and stayed there for a while, feeling sorry for myself.
This, my friends, is a terribly dangerous road to go down. I'm more annoyed than I can express that I allowed myself to dumb down instead of working on the one thing I have always been good at: writing.
Well, this work funk has been lifted. I found a new job!!!! Saturday is my last day at the bank and as much as I will miss my work buddies, I am more than ready to move on. To move out of the trailer neighborhood. To do something that allows me to actually write, even if it's not the kind of writing I planned to do. Because I've been a terrible friend of late, you are probably wondering, what the hell are you going to be doing Divya? Thanks for letting me know! I do apologize.
So here's what I'm going to be doing. I'm going to be a resource developer for Youthbuild, which operates under the umbrella non-profit Comprehensive Community Solutions here in Rockford. What I'm going to be doing there is procuring funds. Writing grants, networking, generally scrounging up money. And also writing marketing materials. I'm excited. Youthbuild is a pretty cool national program that takes kids who didn't graduate from high school and teaches them a vocational skill (in this case, construction - they build houses) and prepares them to earn their GED. I will be paid through an AmeriCorps stipend. So I guess I have come full circle in terms of my idealism. Though it wasn't my intention, I responded to the call to service. My former boss said (and this is jokingly, he is a Republican but, good-natured) that AmeriCorps is like Obama's version of Hitler's Youth. I guess you could say though one is for good and one was for evil, they were both organizations motivated by young people who felt empowered by a public official. On top of the pay, I will receive a grant which will either pay back much of my student loans or will go toward grad school.
Grad school. There, I said it. I miss school. I wanna go back. I don't care what I study. OK, I do. I don't want to journ again because I already had exceptional teachers and the best education I could have asked for with that. I'm thinking there are some awesome media programs in NYC I'd like to explore. There are in truth so many things I'd like to do, I would love to study cinema, or various topics in sociology/anthropology such as sex and gender in Indian culture, and fashion, and second generation patterns, and minority consumption of media. But I don't have the patience to teach people so, I will just get a Master's and hopefully score a writing gig that will one day get me to my goal of writer/blogger/columnist/media commentator/world dominator. :)
So that's the other thing that's taken up my time. Studying for the GRE, which I will be attempting in September. Wish me luck!
Now that I'm back on here, I'm here to stay. I've got a lot of stuff to say and I hope you want to here it. Life updates, crazy liberal rants, media analysis, you can find it all here. And also, I will do my best to keep bitch, please fresh. I really want to see that site grow and I think you will enjoy reading it. My place in life is as a writer, so from now one I am just going to own up to it and write as much as I possibly can.
3 comments:
umm...you're awesome and you'll do many great things in life!
Hey Divya,
It's good to see that you're back to posting here again. I enjoy reading your posts on here. I can totally relate to how you're feeling. I'll finally have my bachelor's in journalism by 2010 (it's taken me long enough) and im already having anxiety and doubts about life after college. Things may not be exactly how you envisioned them to be right now, but it seems like you're headed in the right direction. You're a great writer and I know you'll do great things. Congrats on your new job and best of luck to you!
--Candace Clark
Thanks ladies!
Post a Comment