Sunday, March 7, 2010

See You at the Movies

So, the Oscars are going on right now. They're in the middle of the boring technical awards. I hate to say that because I was once a theatre techie in high school, which is the equivalent to the cinema techies, but all those categories in the middle do extend the awards show too much.

To pass the time, I'm compiling my own best/worst/most anticipated film list.



Favorite Movies

1. This Is It - Do I have to explain this one to you? I think if 10 movies were nominated, this one should have made the cut. It has drama, heart, heartbreak, a personal look at the man behind the hits, amazing music and mind-blowing awesome dancing. Speaking of nominations, why didn't a song from the soundtrack make the cut instead of one of those tired Randy Newman songs? Unless you absolutely hate Michael Jackson (or his music) with every fiber of your being, I think you'd enjoy this behind-the-scenes look.

2. Avatar - It has made more money than any movie ever. I think that explains it all. There are crazy special effects, an interesting (though conflicting) storyline, and great action scenes.

3. Star Trek - This movie speaks to men and women. You got the action for the men and all the cute, slightly nerdy eye candy a girl could want. And I believe this movie can cross the sci-fi boundary as well. If you're into the whole Star Trek mythology thing, you'd probably get a kick out of the whole parallel universe thing and the cameo from Leonard Nimoy. And if you know nothing about Star Trek (like me), you get to see an engaging origin story.

4. Up - Pixar gets it right every time.

5. The Hangover - This movie has no pretensions. It is what it is - a raunchy comedy. What I like about this film is that it features guys who are actually funny instead of so-called comedy stars. With guys like comedian Zach Galifianakis and the Office's Ed Helms on board, you knew this thing had to be funny. Every single thing in this movie is so random, you can't help but laugh. A tiger in the bathroom? YES! It doesn't fare as well on second viewing, but with the Mike Tyson cameo, you know why this was the best-selling comedy film (DVD)of all time.

Most Over-hyped



1. Julie and Julia - An OK movie, but I don't get why Meryl Streep was nominated other than because she is Meryl Streep. The main character was ridiculously whiny and I know as a writer/blogger I should sympathize with her, but I can't. She was a total ass to her husband.

2. Inglorious Basterds - I just don't get it. There were too many subplots and I just don't think they were all developed. This movie was long, so really as the viewer, I felt like I deserved a better story. I get that it was supposed to be something of a farce, but nothing made me laugh. I've liked some Quentin Taratino films, but I'm not totally sold on his brand of in-joke hyper-violent machismo pop-culture chop-shop movies.

3. (500) Days of Summer - I've long been a fan of Zooey Deschanel with her wide-eyed sarcastic fake innocence and quirky quips and Joseph Gordon-Levitt has aged well. From Ten Things I Hate About You, to 500 Days, he has retained the same dimples but really grown into an attractive man. I really wanted to like this movie, which was described as being a romantic film guys could like too. But I was left frustrated. The main character needed to man up and stop mooning over the girl who clearly just wanted to be friends with benefits. Honestly, I thought the song-and-dance number was just a gimmick; it wasn't as memorable as critics described.

4. New Moon - Ugh. Twilight. At least the first movie had some charm. Switching directors just changed up the whole tone of the film. Absolutely the only thing this movie had going for it was Taylor Lautner's abs. Not saying the abs weren't nice, but they could not compensate for the terrible posturing (wouldn't call it acting) and limp script.

5. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Movies just never make that same connection that books do. I read all the books and though I wasn't a Pot(ter)head, I enjoyed them. I was engaged in the story and felt Dumbledore's death, but with the film, his death just didn't carry the same weight. They need to hurry up with the last film(s) cuz those young adults are getting too old to pass for teens.

Movies I Look Forward to Watching on DVD



1. Precious - One day, I hope to be like Sapphire, sitting in the audience crying tears of joy when the film script based on one of my novels (or book of short stories) wins an Oscar. I looooved the book Push and I cannot wait to see the film translation. Even just watching clips of Monique and Gabi's performances got to me.

2. Hurt Locker - I really hope it lives up to its awards hype. And I love that a woman made this movie and it's not an overtly female movie. It's the little movie that could, which instantly endears me to it.

3. Up In the Air - I'm intrigued to see if George Clooney's acting is really as good as everyone says it is because I'm convinced he plays the same charmer fast-talker type in all of his movies. That being said, it seems like a really topical movie and I read the director used a lot of real people in bit roles.

No comments: