Thursday, January 20, 2011

On Good Writing



This is a little mini-essay I drafted for my Advanced Writing course. We were prompted to answer the question What Makes Good Writing?

Fat kid that I am, I of course had to use a food metaphor to make my point. My prof. really enjoyed it, so I thought I would share.

How does one define good writing? That’s like deconstructing what makes something funny. Is it proper spelling? Maybe correct grammar usage? Or perfect punctuation? Sure, these are all important factors. But good writing can’t rest on mechanics alone. They are like salt and pepper – seasonings -- necessary ingredients added at the end of the cooking process. To create a flavorful meal, you first need to develop a substantive base. Next, stir in a pinch of spice. Then, and only then, season to taste.

Good writers, like experienced chefs, don’t need to follow recipes once they have mastered the basics. The real measure of a writer’s success is the strength of his or her voice. A writer’s tone and style must be powerful and evocative. Without these elements, words are just text without meaning. Good writing employs a narrative strategy that grabs readers and draws them in to another world.
Over the years, I have been advised that smart writing is well structured, has a clear objective and demonstrates conscious word choice. Thoughts need to be organized. Nothing should seem arbitrary or extraneous.

But what it all boils down to is how something makes me feel. I want to read literature that is purposeful and provocative. That forces me to react in some manner. Some writing sparks laughter from the depths of my stomach. Some writing unleashes a flood of tears. And still other pieces have made me laugh so hard tears started streaming down my face. If an essay, blog post, novel, or any other literary work challenges my thinking, then I will classify it as good writing.

No comments: