My professor introduced the idea that waaaay back in the day, before pre-Walkman(there was a time before Walkman?!), people had no control over the music they listened to. Obviously, you have radio stations that fit your musical tastes, but with radio, you never know the line-up. When I'm driving around at home in Rockford, I still listen to the radio. So I know, when you hear that certain song on the radio, you're filled with delight. You have to turn up the volume and sing along. Since most people listen to music on their iPods nowadays, they get to determine their own play lists. And since they select all the music on their play lists, every song is their song.
Well, lately, I've come to realize my "that's my song!" (or rather "that's my jam!" moments come when I'm out in a public place and the dj (if it's a club/bar) or the sound system (in a store) plays a tune that renders my body is helpless in fighting the urge to groove.
Granted, I'm a hardcore ____ dancer. I chair dance. I car dance. In my apartment in Brookline, the only piece of furniture I can sit on is my bed. So I bed dance. I just have to jam when I hear a good beat. I lose control. When I hear certain songs, I just have to surrender. My shoulders shake. My head bobs. My hips swivel. It doesn't matter where I am. I could be at work, on the T, in a grocery store, ANYWHERE. I just have to hum along and at least get in a few shoulder shake.
In no particular order, these are the songs that send me into a dance trance.
1. Any track off of Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall."
More specifically, "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" and "Workin' Day and Night." Can't. Control. My Reaction.
2. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke" or "Higher Ground"
3. Prince "Raspberry Beret"
4. Another MJ track - "Wanna Be Startin' Something"
5. Daddy Yankee "Gasolina"

6. Punjabi MC "Beware of the Boys/Mundian To Bach Ke" or "Yeah" remix
7. MIA "Paper Planes," "World Town" and "Bucky Done Gun"
8. Kylie Minogue "Can't Get You Out of My Head"

9. Missy Elliott "Get Your Freak On"
Gotta stop now. Time for a dance break. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment