
Today is the real St. Patty's day and I am in Boston, a city that is known for its rowdy Irish population. I can't help but wonder though, will St. Patty's Day be a little bit of a let down following the madness that is Unofficial?
Unofficial St. Patrick's Day, for those who don't know, is when University of Illinois students celebrate St. Patty's, because that day usually falls during spring break. People set their alarm clocks and get up at 7 for sunrise cocktails, Baileys and coffee, and mimosas. Usually by 10 or 11 (a.m.) there are lines down the block at bars and drunk people from all over the Midwest have taken over the quad. People are gone by mid-afternoon.
Every year, hundreds of people get public drunkenness citations. This year was no different: http://dailyillini.tumblr.com/. Every year, there are many traffic accidents. And usually, someone winds up gravely injured.
I am in NO way condoning any of this violent behavior, and now that I'm older, I don't even think I could handle that kind of undergraduate drinking, but I will always be nostalgic. I'm pretty sure I can handle anything Boston St. Patty's throws at me.
No comments:
Post a Comment