Friday, February 13, 2009

Burnt In


I've been working at Nat. City for a good almost 5 months now. And the banking mindset is now fully embedded in my brain. Now when I'm watching movies that somehow involve the banking industry, I have to question their plausibility.

For instance, I can no longer totally get into bank heist movies. I start to question, well, what about this, and what about that?

The other night, I was watching Burn After Reading and I was identifying with the character that even though his life sucks, I'm pretty sure I was not supposed to identify with. He's a total ass but he doesn't exactly deserve everything that happens to him.

But then there's this scene where he calls the bank and he starts yelling at the person on the other end about how he's been taken off his wife's account without his consent. And while that might seem unethical, it's something I see every day. And with that banker mindset, I couldn't help but consider this otherwise intelligent character as a moron for only having joint accounts. Every one knows you need to maintain at least one account in your own name.

Well, he starts going off on the CSR on the other end when they ask him for his account number. "Why would I know my account number? I have better things to do with my time than to memorize a few numbers!" Something along those lines. And my mom was agreeing with him. From experience though, that man is a fool. How does he expect to get information about his account without supplying any information? This is an all too familiar scenario. People call regularly asking for their balance, the last check in their account, etc, without giving me any information in return.
I can't just conjure your balance out of thin air. I hope the person on the other end hung up on him. Sorry dude, we're providing you with a service. If you're not nice to us, than we don't have to give you the correct info.

Ignorance is bliss, yo.

1 comment:

Gioconda said...

haha that's awesome, but I'm sorry you can't enjoy those movies the way you used to. You could be a technical advisor :P