Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Great Depressing

Check this out:

http://adage.com/article?article_id=134423

No wonder people mock my major. If I'd have known any of this was going to go down, I would have stayed in school for another two years or so. As much as I thought I was superior to the people doing the 5 year program for saving money on what I figured to be the same classes over again, I do believe they were the smart ones for continuing to stay isolated from the job search. I've already accumulated student loan debt, so really, I could have just kept it coming.

I don't believe that publications are dead. It's a rough time for everyone. So understandably, people can't afford subscriptions anymore - they see it as a luxury. That's cool. There's still online stuff. If I just take a look around at work, we're all cruising the Yahoo pages and various news sites. Accessible and cheap, I can get down with that.

On Saturday, I had a discussion with my new coworker, who's a nice woman and meant no unkindness to me. But the convo did end up damaging my ego to an extent. She compared me to her two children. Her eldest also graduated from a Rockford area high school in '04. But he was valedictorian. And he got a full ride through to his PhD (when he finishes). And he's a chem. engineer, which means, he's kinda guaranteed a job, even if our economy implodes.

Her daughter on the other hand, has a vague major, communications. She hasn't got much focus, blah blah blah. When I told said well-meaning person about my degree, she said, "And now you're working at a bank." As I said, that's the truth; I don't think she meant any disrespect. She was just stating a fact. It was even sadder to tell her I had once worked at the Trib.

But you know what, I will overcome. I don't want my life to be decided by age 22. I really don't want to have one job for the rest of my life. I will be a writer, a city dweller, a world traveller. So even though the recession bites and things could be a lot better, they could be worse too. At least I have ambition.

4 comments:

Gioconda said...

I think you have a wonderful attitude! Your story reminds me of a time during high school when my friends and I went to a Subway restaurant in Evanston, and the woman sweeping the floors told us that she had sent her son to New Trier, and informed us that he was getting a better education than us! I am also reminded of my dental hygienist after I told her that I was majoring in French: "It's too bad when your passion doesn't bring you any jobs or any money". Lastly, besides countless arrogant comments about college major vs. employment possibilities, I am reminded of a coworker who had gone to U of I for his degree. When verifying that he had majored in Engineering, he replied, "That's the only reason to go there".

I completely agree with you that life isn't about "finding yourself" right away, or as soon as possible. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know that only doing one thing in life will not keep me satisfied or interested.

I don't understand the utilitarian approach to choosing a major, or the idea that your current situation is indicative of your past or present.

Anyway, all I'm saying is, I totally agree with you and I'm enjoying your blog!!

(this is Liz M of Hello Kitty party fame :))

divadiv said...

Awww, thanks Liz!

Whatever, our majors rock. And if nothing else, you have probably met a lot of men with hot accents, no? :)

Thanks for the comments and following my blog, now that I have more than one person on here, I feel like less of a lame.

Annette Gonzalez said...

Hey, Divya! Remember me? We suffered through graphics class together.

I just randomly came across your stuff. I totally feel you on the work thing. I myself just got through 5 months of hell, er, work, in corporate. I'm dying to get out of there a.s.a.p. For now I, too, blog to keep my mind from completely deteriorating. I personally hate telling people what I do now because they'll come back with, "but didn't you work at [publication]" at which point I bow my head in shame wishing I were still there. We just gotta keep the faith alive!

For now keep writing, girl. Good shit.

divadiv said...

Aww, of course I remember you.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

The corporate world won't get us down, one day we'll be the rockstar writers we see ourselves being!