
I'm on book two of my book club reads. I was supposed to read the first half of Little Bee, a novel by Chris Cleave for this week's meeting. Well, this is one of the most engrossing books I've ever read because I am well on my way to finishing it before tomorrow.
For any fans of literature, I recommend checking this book out. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but I will say this: I have cried three times in the past two days reading this book.
The novel shifts between the perspectives of two women. One represents the Western World and one is an African refugee. One of the subtle themes in the book is the clash between cultures and the juxtaposition between West and the Rest, but it's not a big point of contention. It's handled rather beautifully.
This book will shock you describing the worst possible of human atrocities and at the same time, reaffirm the resilience of the human spirit.
The writing style and rhythm of dialogue are brilliant. As a writer, I am horribly jealous of Cleave. I only hope that when I finally publish a work, it will be half as good.
No comments:
Post a Comment