At the beginning of the year, I was going to write a list of things to be thankful for. Because I can't go around feeling sorry for myself all of 2009, like I did for the back half of '08. But, time's up on that.
I refuse to be all sunny dispositioned. Mainly because I'm tired of being told how worthless I am. I already know that I am clearly overqualified/underpaid for someone with my educational background. They say the more educated you are, the less content you are prone to be. It couldn't be more true in my case.
If I were a fresh-outta-Auburn 18-year-old, this would be the apex of my life. I would be completely, utterly fulfilled with where I am and what I'm doing. But I've been exposed to too much, had too many life experiences for this apply to me now.
I'm not living up to my potential, blah blah blah. I know these truths to self-evident. So, I don't need other people to constantly point this out to me. To reinforce my underachiever status.
My parents are kind of crazy and lacking in social etiquette (those of you who've met them know I'm not just trying to be obtuse), so my mother has told me on multiple occasions that their stupid arguments revolve around my poor choice of major. Apparently, my father is convinced that my mother coerced me into taking a pointless major. Cuz obviously, I rock at science. Clearly, I could have graduated from engineering school or med school (please note my dripping sarcasm).
Friday night, what should pop up on 20/2 but an expose about recent graduates. It was called, "How Much Are You Really Worth?" My mother wanted to watch it really desperately because she thought it was going to actually tell you how much you're worth. Rather, it was a depressing look at people in my life situation. Bachelor degree holders, drowning in student loans, who gets unfulfilled jobs out of college just to pay the bills. Jobs they could have gotten without a degree.
That piece went on to talk about how the bachelor's degree is the most useless tool in today's marketplace. Apparently, pretty much anybody can get one nowadays and nobody cares much for them anymore. I obviously know that a masters is more distinguished, but I've often questioned what I would actually study in grad school. Studying public affairs writing or ethnography, or pop culture is just not going to land me a job either.
Great to know I'm not the only one in my situation (though I knew that before 20/20 exposed the "truth about college degrees") but I didn't really need that negative reinforcement. It was once again more fuel for everyone who thought my degree was useless in the first place.
I will say one thing however, I'm not as pathetic as they make my demographic out to be. The people they interviewed went to unheard of colleges. At least U of I has some clout. And I didn't do a liberal arts education. And I was at the top of my class. Those factors have to count for something. And I loved college, despite the cost, I won't take it back because at least I met some great people and had some life experiences. If I could do it again, I would. And I would live in a regular dorm freshman year so I could meet even more awesome people from all over the globe. And I'm not totally resigned to my situation, I'm writing my novel, posting to several blogs, saving my money with dreams of the Big City.
So say what you will about me, at least I have some vague life goals, and working on getting where I want to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment