Saturday, January 10, 2009

Underdog Takes It All


While I generally believe in the philosophy of power to the people, watching back-to-back night-to-night award shows convinced me that some things are best left to the critics to judge. I'm comparing the People's Choice Awards (which aired Wednesday on CBS) to the Critics' Choice Awards (on Vh1 Thursday).

I refuse to believe that the populous would vote for Carrie Underwood over Rihanna. Riri had more hits off her record than anyone else this year. It's her year. So I won't take anything the masses picked seriously.

I will, however, give kudos to the Critics for overwhelming recognizing Slumdog Millionaire, a foreign film featuring an all-Indian cast. I saw the movie over New Years and I must say, it deserves all the praise it got. Despite the all-Indian cast and the focus on urban centers Mumbai and Delhi, the underdog story has universal appeal in that tugging on-the-heartstrings kind of way. Hopefully, awarding Dev Patel best young actor means some more South Asian exposure on the screen. I'd love to see some more brown faces in the pop culture stratosphere. Maybe we'll actually learn to say some foreign names rather than calling Kal Penn Kumar every time he pops up in a movie, regardless of what the actual character's name is.

No comments: