Wednesday, May 21, 2008

All the things floating in my head








The events of the past two weeks were numerous and intense, so I will not even attempt to encompass them in one blogsphere posting. After graduation, I hung around for a week in the Chambana to gather myself. Thank god I took that week for myself, because it was one less week away from home. I do love my family, but after being an at least semi-independent women for 4 years, home life reminds me of being 18-years-old except back then, I had my beautious green Honda Civic (named Lewis Eugene because he was a crotchety old man) and there were graduation parties galore. I must digress ...

Last Monday, the corporate world kicked my ass. Kelly, Christine and I donned our grad robes, cords, etc. and set off for a photo shoot on the Quad. It had rained on my parade (literally) the day before and the line in front of the Alma Mater had been discouraging, so we decided Monday would be better for photos. And it was - Monday was gloriously warm and sunny. We skipped the Alma Mater again because it was hot and there were just too many people in line. I hate to be a sheep. So anyway, we arrived at the Illini Union on at the latest a minute after 5. The Union security guy shut the doors in our faces and told us that we were too late. After a crowd of law school students refused to leave, he brought out a Herff Jones rep. who told us we missed the deadline and had no choice but to turn in our gear the next day. She (according to the people at the IUB, she was named Patty) told us we "probably will not have to pay a fee" if we went the next day. So, Christine and I headed to the IUB to see if we could return our gowns. The woman there told us she sympathized with us but if she saw us the next day, she'd be charging us an extra $5.

Interestingly enough, that $5 was already paid in the sense that when we ordered our gowns, we were promised that we only had to pay $39. However, on payment day, I was charged $46 and I received no explanation as to the price change. As misfortune would have it, when we got to the IUB (Illini Union Bookstore) the next day, our sob story fell on deaf ears. That same woman was there and she told the other ladies we were troublemakers. So we were forced to pay $5 to RETURN something. Where's the logic in that???? As I left, I shouted something vague about discrimination but I hope they heard me. Herff-Jones is full of crap. That woman Patty did not know what she was talking about. And the woman at the bookstore - how dare she treat us like that? Try to be our friend; tell us she's not affiliated with Herff-Jones, and yet, the IUB is the official college bookstore (we probably pay for it in our student fees) and they were the ones charging us to turn our gowns back in. Where's the justice in that? The women at the bookstore did not check the gowns (I had trailed mine around the Quad) but I wish I had done something badass like burn a part of the gown. Or rip it. Or graffiti it. I guess I must settle for writing a complaint.

The photo at the top is my FU to Herff Jonsies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha, i LOVE that photo.