Friday, May 23, 2008

Neon's back again




Fashion magazines and industry insiders always talk about how trends are cyclical, but I never thought the cycle would revolve so fast. I mean, I know about peasant blouses and hippie skirts echoing the '60s, and about the return of bell-bottoms in the form of flared pants, about those cute '50s housewife cocktail dressing making a return, and the list goes on an on. However, I noticed that neon leg ware has come back with a passion. Come back from where? My sophomore year of college (2 years ago). And the early part of my senior year of high school (4 years ago). That's not long at all. I first noted this trend 5 years ago and I marked it by purchasing bright pink fishnets for Sara Milner's 17th birthday. The following year, I added some electric blues and neon greens to my wardrobe. By my 18th birthday, the trend had disappeared. It was on to jersey-knit tops with empire waists.

For Halloween my second year at U o I, I went as '80s girl (I know, most original). At that time, I found plentiful bright purple, blue, and pink fishnets in the hosiery aisle at Target. Once they were on sale, I scooped them all up. Once things go on sale though, that means the trend is over. Imagine my surprise when I popped over to Target and once again saw that they had neon-colored tights. This time, they were sheer and they had bright teal, which is just amazing. And they had some sort of special on them so they were less than $3. I wonder if I can pass off my neons from two seasons ago this season as well? That remains to be seen, but what I can tell you is ... bright legs are in.

Tights add a pop of color to every outfit and if you're a wannabe drama queen like me, if you show up at a party with hot pink tights on, you will steal the show.

No comments: