Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Oh yeah, we did it


So the results are in and Obama killed it! By a landslide. By a fucking avalanche.

Hope exists, thank god. As cheesy as it sounds, I've got something to look forward to the first time in a long time. And as I said, this whole election was about change on such a grande scale. Not just minorities rising up by Gen X and Gen Y claiming themselves, making decisions about what the future of this country should be.

Though McCain called himself the underdog (multi-millionaire underdogs, ha what a joke), Obama kind of had everything going against him. Racists, xenophobes, reverse-ageists, anti-elitists, in your face. Despite every scandal over his middle name, over his illegal aunt, over his Indonesian upbringing, etc. etc., he came out on top, looking dignified.


This election signified so much. A reporter on CNN said it all when he declared this election a great nonviolent revolution. That we, the people, were attempting to change the political system from the inside. Maybe it's not quite to that level. Not a people's rebellion. I do believe though that things will change, that things are in the process of changing already with someone who believes in the future, believes in the government for the people and by the people (and not just the top 5 percent). I say, viva la revolution!


I don't mean to sound extremists but I do believe that the time for conservatives is over. Conservatism may not be dead, but the current administration's failures have shown that individualism just doesn't work in a society. Obama's not exactly a socialist but he's the most liberal Dem. we've got, and honestly, more and more, I think Americans are starting to realize that social welfare policies benefit the whole and what's the point of taxes if we're all not going to be helped somehow. Screw federalism, I'm all about my country protecting me. We are the United States for a reason. With Dems in the House and the White House, this could be a time for not exactly liberal agenda, but legislation promoting real equality getting set in place. Sad as the gay marriage ban in Cali made me, this is a time for progressiveness in our nation. For judging people by their character rather than their orientations.


Historic yes. Who woulda predicted a black man in the White House by '09. I love that I did not see this coming. I'm so giddy. I so wish I was in Grant Park last night.

No comments: