Sunday, November 30, 2008

Get me outta here

I attended a job fair Saturday after work just to see what sort of opportunities are out there for me. Turns out there really aren't any ... around here. Rockford Jobapalooza was kind of a bust. First off, there was an informational app. we had to fill out when we got there and we had to categorize ourselves as 'boomerangs' - people who grew up here, moved away, and want to come back, 'resident boomerangs' - same thing, but these people actually live in town, etc. etc. None of the categories states, "born in Rockford, left, came back, but want to leave again." I believe that describes a yo-yo or something; a person who gets dragged back in but doesn't want to be there.
So I sucked it up and let myself be a resident boomerang.

So Sha'Donna and I went up to two tables and initiated some awkward banter with the two media companies. Of course, both were small firms and were looking to hire people with way more experience than either of us have. I tried to namedrop the Trib while I was there, but it really wasn't working too great. The place was packed, which wasn't surprising given the unemployment rate in town (almost 10%), but I was shocked to be among the top prospects there. I don't know who those companies were looking for, considering that most people weren't dressed up and didn't have any resume copies with them (who shows up at a fair without a resume?). It was obvious to us that we were waaay overqualified for the positions open.

This only drives me more to want to pump out some stellar cover letters. Lately, I'm getting dumber though. I can just feel the intelligence falling away. And talk about creativity block. It's hard to move out to the city, but I have to make it happen soon before my laziness completely outweighs my motivation.

My family's getting more exhausting to deal with. They've got their own frustrations and it's nice to be able to mope at home, but it's not a constructive atmosphere.

I'm not sure who to be more active than I was this summer, but I gotta kick it into gear.

No comments: