


So much going on with race relations of late that needs to be expanded upon, perhaps in Bitch, please ... if I ever get my side gigs in order.
I read some version of this A.P. story in the Register Star over the weekend as was just appalled. http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hpFk2KwM_6m7-Qp7IHUdACwgIrcAD92E99N80
The KKK hopes Obama gets elected so the whites in this country can have an uprising? Lift the yokes of their oppression? I'm sorry, what oppression are they speaking of? In a way, the article is kind of funny because it allows the KKK to implicate themselves frankly as morons. Not only are they ignorant, but they're also completely deluded. But at the same time, it's tremendously scary.
People have been saying for the longest time that if Obama's elected, they think he'll be assassinated. I honestly never thought about it. But I can see it happening. As much as it disgusts the country in general and we like to pretend they're no longer around, clearly the KKK persists. Racism is definitely not just a part of history like some people love to claim.
This comes at the same time that the Robert Downey Junior blackface film is released. I don't have much to say about it, cuz there're so many other places you can find a critique. I just don't see how it's going to be so ironic about it that the context will totally be forgotten. Spike Lee made a biting blackface film a few years ago. It's called Bamboozled. I'd recommend renting it this weekend instead of attending a screening of Tropic Thunder.
And the whole Beyonce thing. She's obviously not the darkest skinned woman to start out with. But in those ads, she looks unnaturally albino. I don't know what happened with the lighting, retouching, etc. but it's a shame because Beyonce was one of the few black women to break through and be appreciated for her color. As for Essence making her look "blacker," I don't think that's true. She looks better in that photo, less sickly and more natural.
I read some version of this A.P. story in the Register Star over the weekend as was just appalled. http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hpFk2KwM_6m7-Qp7IHUdACwgIrcAD92E99N80
The KKK hopes Obama gets elected so the whites in this country can have an uprising? Lift the yokes of their oppression? I'm sorry, what oppression are they speaking of? In a way, the article is kind of funny because it allows the KKK to implicate themselves frankly as morons. Not only are they ignorant, but they're also completely deluded. But at the same time, it's tremendously scary.
People have been saying for the longest time that if Obama's elected, they think he'll be assassinated. I honestly never thought about it. But I can see it happening. As much as it disgusts the country in general and we like to pretend they're no longer around, clearly the KKK persists. Racism is definitely not just a part of history like some people love to claim.
This comes at the same time that the Robert Downey Junior blackface film is released. I don't have much to say about it, cuz there're so many other places you can find a critique. I just don't see how it's going to be so ironic about it that the context will totally be forgotten. Spike Lee made a biting blackface film a few years ago. It's called Bamboozled. I'd recommend renting it this weekend instead of attending a screening of Tropic Thunder.
And the whole Beyonce thing. She's obviously not the darkest skinned woman to start out with. But in those ads, she looks unnaturally albino. I don't know what happened with the lighting, retouching, etc. but it's a shame because Beyonce was one of the few black women to break through and be appreciated for her color. As for Essence making her look "blacker," I don't think that's true. She looks better in that photo, less sickly and more natural.
No comments:
Post a Comment