Sunday, August 17, 2008

Twenty-two should mean freedom

The memoir was no one-time wonder as it turns out. I added a few more pages to it as well!

I also completed my 10 blog postings for Greenzone Online, though I have yet to get paid for them.

And yesterday I finally went out in Rockford, after not going out for and doing anything for at least a month.

But ugh. Seriously, lately all my family seems to be obsessed with is marriage. Like I guess since I'm sucking at the job department, the old people in my family figure I should be married off. Ummmmmm. So how do I explain my feminist point of view to them and the fact that at this point in my life, I could care less about getting married. Please, what kind of self respect would I have to move across the country and move in with someone I have nothing in common with? There really is no way to get them to understand I wouldn't even feel comfortable marrying someone who I hadn't known for an extended period of time.

I like the idea of marriage for that comfort factor, but do I want that in my life now? Hellz no. This girl just wanna have fun. And find employment, preferably at the same time.

Plus, how can they be so callous about it? I don't understand how they don't see marriage as the most important decision you could make in your life. Just settling. That is beyond tragic. My parents settled for each other and they've probably hated each other for as long as I've been alive. Do I they want that for me? And more importantly, why would I ever want that for myself?

Though I'm probably desperate for male attention right now, all I really want is attention. And free meals. And someone to attend romantic-ish movies with me. And someone to make out with. Someone who I must spend all my free time with? No thanks.

Awkwardness of all awkwardness, I basically attended an old-people party on Friday. My mom forced me there under false pretenses, something about this religious occasion blah blah. What I really found was a group of housewives with nothing to do as their children were grown and don't need them for anything anymore. They constantly spoke of the ways of the confusing ways of the 'young people,' who stubbornly refused to only care about getting married. Excuse us for wanting to accomplish things in our lives and not devote ourselves to men and baby-making.

No comments: