Monday, August 18, 2008

Stickin' It to the Man

Click this: http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/08/15/living_in_mall/index.html

Basically, I had to link up to this story because it's so unbelievable. If you don't wanna read it, here's a summary. A North Eastern couple found out a mall was opening near their apartment. They thought it was going to ruin their neighborhood. They were also academics/performance artists, so they protested the corporate takeover as best as they knew how. They squatted in the mall in some unclaimed space, and stole different things from various high-end stores to furnish their home in style. They were did this unnoticed for a few years. The husband was arrested and charged, but they got off without having to serve time. I love how this story has a happy ending. Sort of, you got us good, and we have to respect that, so we're letting you go. These people really managed to get around the consumer system by embedding themselves in it. Crazy.

I wish I saw this when we were in fashion class. My prof. Mimi woulda thought I was awesome. Perhaps then she would have accepted my Facebook friending.

No comments: