
At this point, my entries have sort of thinned. And I don't really know if any one's reading them anymore. But still, at least I'm writing and keeping my mind active.
With this post, I decided to return to my original concept for this blog. Reviews.
Last night, I saw Traitor with a group of friends. I had not even heard of the film before my friends announced that we'd be going. I think that's a good thing. Had I known what the movie was about, I might not have wanted to see it.
Don Cheadle, who is a powerful actor, starred. But that didn't save the movie. I don't think he could help it. His character was left half-developed. Overly religious, fanatic almost, but golden-hearted. There was some vague history with his dad that was half-assed.
As usual with the Mid-Eastern-centered flicks, a lot of the actors were of Indian/Pakistani descent. The sister from Bend it Like Beckham was worthless though. Once again, not really her fault. She was good in A Mighty Heart.
I'm not sure how to interpret the movie. It was written by someone named Steve Martin (if he's the same person as the comedian, he should stick to comedy) and produced by some former Indian athlete my parents have told me about. I feel like the movie would just make you paranoid, cuz terrorists could be lurking anywhere. DUN DUN DUN. Even on college campuses. By the time you get to the end, you just want to laugh at what happens to all the bombers. And I don't care if I give away the ending, but the movie would have been better if Cheadle's character Samir had died.
On the other hand, I started reading Jhumpa Lahiri's short story collection, Unaccustomed Earth, the other day. And I love how she tries to move outside stiff boundaries. Lately, there's been a lot of Indo-American/Indo-Brit writing. And believe me, I've read them all. Much of it focuses on Indian families in a foreign surrounding, struggling to fit in. That's in her books, sure, but the scenarios are more modern. There are inter-racial families. And love affairs. She gets the cultural blending and awkwardness of just about everything better than most authors.
With this post, I decided to return to my original concept for this blog. Reviews.
Last night, I saw Traitor with a group of friends. I had not even heard of the film before my friends announced that we'd be going. I think that's a good thing. Had I known what the movie was about, I might not have wanted to see it.
Don Cheadle, who is a powerful actor, starred. But that didn't save the movie. I don't think he could help it. His character was left half-developed. Overly religious, fanatic almost, but golden-hearted. There was some vague history with his dad that was half-assed.
As usual with the Mid-Eastern-centered flicks, a lot of the actors were of Indian/Pakistani descent. The sister from Bend it Like Beckham was worthless though. Once again, not really her fault. She was good in A Mighty Heart.
I'm not sure how to interpret the movie. It was written by someone named Steve Martin (if he's the same person as the comedian, he should stick to comedy) and produced by some former Indian athlete my parents have told me about. I feel like the movie would just make you paranoid, cuz terrorists could be lurking anywhere. DUN DUN DUN. Even on college campuses. By the time you get to the end, you just want to laugh at what happens to all the bombers. And I don't care if I give away the ending, but the movie would have been better if Cheadle's character Samir had died.
On the other hand, I started reading Jhumpa Lahiri's short story collection, Unaccustomed Earth, the other day. And I love how she tries to move outside stiff boundaries. Lately, there's been a lot of Indo-American/Indo-Brit writing. And believe me, I've read them all. Much of it focuses on Indian families in a foreign surrounding, struggling to fit in. That's in her books, sure, but the scenarios are more modern. There are inter-racial families. And love affairs. She gets the cultural blending and awkwardness of just about everything better than most authors.
No comments:
Post a Comment