Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ode to the Dolla Theatre


As I've noted previously, unemployment in Rockford is at a staggeringly high 10 percent. Holy shiz. So, I've been doin' the dollar theatre thing a lot lately. And I'm proud of it.

For those, who don't know. North Towne is the unofficial dollar theatre in Rockford. It's a second-run place, where movies that are almost on DVD come for their last big-screen showings. Used to be that it was 'so ghetto' and whatever else you can think of to go there. I never much cared and just thought it was cool that four quarters could buy me a decent show.

I was slightly outraged when I heard that Dolla charged $1.50 for night showings once I started college.

This summer, I've seen Ironman, Kung Fu Panda, and Prince Caspian at the venue. I really wanted to take my mother to Sex and the City, but alas, I was too slow.

North Towne is on the West Side. And kind of a shady theatre. No one much cares about the upkeep and the cops that hang out there are both comforting and discomforting. Plus, it's next to a bar where apparently people have gotten shot. So, in the days of Showplace 14 and 16's youth, most people avoided the joint. But now, months after these movies were released, people have been filling Dolla's seats. As I said the other night, it's the new hang-out. The one place in this shiz economy people can still afford.

I think it's a good economic indicator that on the first night of Traitor (granted a Thursday), my friends and I were about half the audience. But I could count at least 20 people at Caspian several months after its release.

No comments: