
Oh Rockford, I have been here, doing nothing for waaaay too long.
Except I'm not doing nothing. I spend my days at the computer, pecking away at the keyboard, applying to this and that.
But then I found out yesterday the unemployment rate here is 10%. So no wonder I'm not getting hired. What a shit time to have graduated. I'm pretty sure that number doesn't include recent college grads, even if it's not so recently that they graduated. 10% is staggering. How can people here afford to do anything?
It's obvious to me then why the Waterfront seemed so lame then. There were still enough people, but the mood was different. People couldn't buy as much food, as much brew as they had in the past. Besides the fact that the event mainly entertains teens, I still was put off by the experience.
Except for when we met Puddle of Mudd. They were sort of awkward and creepy, and not at all what I would have expected neo-grunge people to be like. Too funny. I mean, the guitarist purchased his hat at Urban Outfitters. Sure to win him a lot of street cred. They appeared genuinely shocked to see people of color. To be fair, Sha'Donna, my brother, and I probably were the only people of color to stand in line to see them (and even then, we sat in line, not stood). The band also did not resemble their publicity shot in any possible way. That airbrushing was a little too extreme.
In between the band's set and meeting them, we attempted to buy some food with our remaining tix. Being a half-arsed street festival, of course this did not happen. We wandered around and found our tix were basically useless. We were then forced to combine our tix for a measly small cup o Dippin' Dots. It was my first time trying it and I have to say, the ice cream of the future should not be so crap.
I just can't believe it's September. It's officially time for me to get un life.
Except I'm not doing nothing. I spend my days at the computer, pecking away at the keyboard, applying to this and that.
But then I found out yesterday the unemployment rate here is 10%. So no wonder I'm not getting hired. What a shit time to have graduated. I'm pretty sure that number doesn't include recent college grads, even if it's not so recently that they graduated. 10% is staggering. How can people here afford to do anything?
It's obvious to me then why the Waterfront seemed so lame then. There were still enough people, but the mood was different. People couldn't buy as much food, as much brew as they had in the past. Besides the fact that the event mainly entertains teens, I still was put off by the experience.
Except for when we met Puddle of Mudd. They were sort of awkward and creepy, and not at all what I would have expected neo-grunge people to be like. Too funny. I mean, the guitarist purchased his hat at Urban Outfitters. Sure to win him a lot of street cred. They appeared genuinely shocked to see people of color. To be fair, Sha'Donna, my brother, and I probably were the only people of color to stand in line to see them (and even then, we sat in line, not stood). The band also did not resemble their publicity shot in any possible way. That airbrushing was a little too extreme.
In between the band's set and meeting them, we attempted to buy some food with our remaining tix. Being a half-arsed street festival, of course this did not happen. We wandered around and found our tix were basically useless. We were then forced to combine our tix for a measly small cup o Dippin' Dots. It was my first time trying it and I have to say, the ice cream of the future should not be so crap.
I just can't believe it's September. It's officially time for me to get un life.
No comments:
Post a Comment