Monday, July 28, 2008

Desperate times my friend

Ugh. It's official. I've been unproductive for way too long. As much as I've tried to joke about it, I hate having graduated when I did and the fact that I'm applying for jobs at the same time that everyone else is getting fired. I know I'm smart and talented and passionate and all that sort of stuff, but the longer I'm stagnant, the more I will lose.

Yesterday, my father basically suggested that I live at home forever. I interviewed for a pretty cool job last week and my hope is that I land it, so I can have a satisfying job and NOT have to live at home anymore. He actually told me I should just give up on my dreams, get a job at a frickin retail store and stay in my childhood room forever. That would be the solution for me entering into permanent depression.

Considering that most of my friends are gone, that I never "meet" people when I'm home, and that getting a job somewhere I could have worked in high school totally negates all the work I did in college, staying in Rockford an extended period of time is just not a viable option. It's great to know that family has no faith in me. Next thing you know, my father will suggest marrying me off to some vaguely distant, but-not-distant cousin.

No comments: