I'm getting to that age where my lack of romantic situation is just sort of pathetic. I never noticed/cared before, but now that I'm unemployed and chilling with my family 90% of the time, the fact that I should be out on a date on a Friday night instead of watching some tired DVD with my family is acutely highlighted.
Apparently, when my mother was India, her older cousin propositioned me. There is some "nice boy" of 30 years living in North Carolina who I should look into. Thankfully, my mother is extremely liberal and had the sense to tell her cousin that I could care less. I mean, I'm only 22 and have zero relationships under my belt; there's no way I'd ever consider marriage at this point in my life.
This awkwardness got me thinking about it though. Who knows when I will enter into a functional relationship; perhaps the next time someone proposes something to me I'll be in 40s. Sad thought, but given that that part of my life has progressed at such a snail's pace, who knows. All I know is that it's not going to happen like the movies. I will not be approached in the bookstore, at the library, at a cafe, at the gym, etc. I will only be degraded by desperate men in the bars. So what are my options? Probably to move away and get a new group of friends, one that includes some prospective men. Or to join some sort of site/group. Or to be set up. Which could be nice, although I wonder that my girlfriends have available guy friends like that.
Anyhow, that's about the furthest any arrangement will take place in my love life. Like I said, thank god for a sensible mother who scoffs at aunties when they speak of arranged marriage. I can see how if I was India that would be an option, given that many women have no male interaction outside their family. But for somebody who grew here with plenty of mingling but never knew how to interact properly, that just doesn't make sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment