Tuesday, April 15, 2008

grumble, grumble, mumble

Today, I am a terrible mood. Exhausted and irritated with everything and everyone, so please excuse me if I bark at you. This in-between school and "real life" transition thing is annoying right now, though I am sure I will miss it when I return home.

Even though I do want to achieve an editorial position at a magazine in the future, I'm tired of being in charge of the one here at school. Actually just being in charge of anything right now is getting me down. Being in charge, managing something, means you have to do all the work that nobody else wants to or will do, which for me means pretty much everything in all cases. While nobody seems to want to do anything, they somehow expect everything to be magically done.

Take the Green Observer for instance. Since we don't pay writers or editors, we don't have any real incentive to offer other than you get to put your passion for journalism to action. So, of course, even some of the more dedicated members fall off the wagon at times, because I understand that school can get trying. However, I'm in the senior-most position and also the group member with the most taxing school status; I'm the only one actually graduating and leaving the campus. Clearly, things are hectic for me too but I recognize that if I don't do it, nothing will ever be accomplished. So, I've spent the last two weeks designing at least 90% of the magazine. The publication of the next issue will be like the birth of that child; it better look as amazing as it does on my computer screen. When it's done, I will post a link to either the GO Web site or my own Web site so you can all take a look at it, or if you're on campus, look for us around town starting (hopefully) tomorrow!

My brain is frazzled at this point. The state of my life now is summed up by my room composition: just piles of books and DVDs spilling all over, notes about jobs I need to be applying for and loose-leaf sheets of paper scattered about, where I started doing research but was never able to complete anything.

Tomorrow, I hope to be in a better mood. I've been promising reviews, so I need to get on writing them.

No comments: