I'm not one to be morbid and today is a considerably nice day; I saw some tulips blooming on my walk from my Media Law class to my apartment and it reminded me of how the world is thawing and renewing itself. But, perhaps because of the recent passing of my roommate's grandfather (the apartment misses you Kelly!), I had death on my mind this morning.
Well not just death. I was considering my own death, but not in a weird way, I was just thinking about how I would like to leave my mark. In the Hindu tradition, your body is cremated. I rather like the idea of becoming one with the world and I shall adhere to this tradition, not just for these religious reasons but also because the taught of burial really creeps me out. Since my relatives were all cremated, I've never had to be in a cemetery, which makes the experience all the more foreign and disturbing to me.
What I can relate to though is having a permanent marker where your legacy can continue and your friends and family can visit with you and keep you and memories of you involved in their lives. So, I was thinking that when I die, I would like a tree to be planted in my name. I'd like to think that I will have some loved ones who'd want to carry on my legacy and visit with me and remember me always. In keeping with that idea of retaining something on the Earth even after your body has left it, I rather like the idea of sprouting new life in place of one that has passed on. I think it would be amazing to have a tree farm in the vein of family burial plots. We could all have our own plaques or whatever, but in death, we'd be returning something back to the world that could potentially help the environment.
No comments:
Post a Comment