Monday, June 16, 2008

Ello.

Remember when I said the tomatoes thing was not a big deal? Guess I was wrong because my mom just arrived in Bombay (after a 12-hour rain delay at the Newark airport) and she informed me that she spent the last two days vomiting from salmonella. Well, that's just great, idinit? Healthy paranoia can be a good things guys. That's why I know I'm not a freak for picking all the tomatoes off my Beef-A-Roo salad the other day. In case you're wondering, my mom says she's OK now. But being sick on a 15-hour non-stop plane ride cannot be fun.

I've been on-and-off productive lately. I'm not sure how long the hiring process takes but I don't want to have to fly out to a job interview any time soon, with nobody around to pick me up. And also I can't rent a car. And I sure as hell won't be driving to places like New Mexico by my lonesome. I've just been doing loads upon loads of laundry. And attempting to clean up. And wasting a lot of time watching TV.

Stupid MTV. As much as I mock that channel, I will admit to really enjoying two shows. MADE and True Life (not the celebrity kind, the ones where they follow real people). There was a MADE marathon this weekend, and I was semi-glued to it. Depending on how transformative the episode is, I tend to get emotional about it. Not the ones where girls get to be prom queen necessarily. That's kind of lame. I like the ones where teens get their asses kicked by their coach and find out they can do something so outside their comfort zone, be someone they never believed they could be. Go ahead and laugh at me. It's cool. Something about seeing that immense change gives me faith in people and briefly empowers me. Another show that I've been catching lately is 30 days, the show from the Supersize Me guy. I know he has a total liberal agenda but still, as a social experiment this works much better than Tyra. People actually have to taken on a new perspective for a month, like this white American guy who had to live and work at an IT company in Bangalore and realized that it's not India's fault that jobs are outsourced, but rather Americans are capitalizing on the fact that Indians will accept sub par wages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i do enjoy MADE. i kind of always fantasized that i could go on that show and become this great actor that all the CAPA kids were mesmerized by. or was it not on in high school? maybe i fantasized that i would become a great actor in college ...

haven't ever seen the 30 days show. and what's wrong with a liberal agenda? i've got one. haha.