Saturday, June 14, 2008

Et tu, Beef-A-Roo?


I thought you were cooking it just for me!


If I was a better blogger, I would have taken a picture of the offensive food. Better yet, I could have had my brother snap a shot of me with a disgusted look on my face.
Thursday my mom, brother and I ran errands in the 251/173 area and we starving, so we ran over to the Beef-A-Roo (a local fast-food chain) on N. Alpine for some food. I had eaten Beef-A-Roo the week before and Granite City Monday, so I wanted to eat moderately healthy, but everyone knows cheddar fries are a must at Beef-A-Roo. I mean, how can you go there and no order cheddar fries? I have tried to recreate the experience in Champaign and Chicago, but have never found a comparable flavor combination.
Anyway, getting back to the matter at hand . . . Wanting to get my fries and eat healthy too, I opted for a chicken salad. When we reached home I dug into my salad without giving it a second thought. It took my brother pointing them out to me to realize I had tomatoes on my salad. And not the FDA recommended kind. I have to say, with McDonalds pulling tomatoes off their menu and with Illinois being an infected state (at least according to the FDA Web site), I expected my salad to be tomato-less. Especially since I had eaten out a few days prior in an establishment that told me most people would be getting rid of tomatoes so as not to take chances.
My mom got really panicky about this and called Beef-A-Roo, where she was told that the tomatoes were some unidentifiable breed, having come pre-sliced and diced and a plastic bag. Also, she was told the tomatoes were going off the menu starting today (Saturday). Not so reassuring, huh? And no one had called her to complain so she figured I'd be alright.
I'm not that paranoid; I don't think I'm going to get sick because Beef-A-Roo poisoned me or anything. I just expected more from them. I mean, I refuse to go to Mickey D's but Beef-A-Roo is a dear friend and if McDonalds is treating me better than Beef-A-Roo, something's wrong.

No comments: